dinsdag

WAYS OF SEEING / JOHN BERGER

The other day, I was reorganizing my books. It seems the books I own longest are still my treasures and some later aquisitions could be disposed of rather easely. 
I rearranged my collection and first of all I put all books together that I keep for their images, not their text. One wonders how their could ever be a world without books. Art history for instance: I can't imagine you can compare on a computer screen? 
My second catagory are books I find teaching treasures. I only have to look at the book to know how I can use its content in my teachings. John Berger’s “Ways of Seeing” is one of my favorites. An in depth look on art, the way people view it and the influences that traditional oil painting has had on society and modern day publicity. The beginning of the book goes into the issue of how people now look at art versus how people in the past look at art and how reproduction has effected this.  The relationship between social status and the subjects of oil painting, particularly the female nude is discussed as well. Berger turns to modern day and explains the role that publicity takes in our daily lives and how it is modeled after the traditional oil painting of the past. It's all there. 

Now in YouTube's era, I thought I'ld give it a go and yes, someone has taken the trouble to upload it all. 
Thanks manwithaplan999
He has also shows later series of Ways Of Seeing.

 

Episode one

 

Episode two

  

Episode three

  

Episode four